Insalata di Caprese (Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Salad)
By November 10, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Basil is one of the most frequently used spices in an Italian household, and can often be found growing in a backyard garden, in pots on balconies or on the fire escape in apartment homes. My grandmother Aloisi always had several pots of it on her window sill in her Bronx apartment. My father has a large portion of his garden dedicated to sweet basil. My dad will make pesto from the fresh basil as well and freeze enough to use through the year. This simple recipe is the most common use of fresh basil that we enjoyed in our home.
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes sliced
- 1 Large Mozzarella Cheese sliced
- 8 Basil Leaves
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Place tomato slices in a circular pattern on a platter.
- Place a slice of mozzarella on each tomato.
- Place a piece of fresh basil on top of each piece of mozzarella.
- Drizzle olive oil lightly over the entire platter and serve. Sprinkle lightly with salt.