Ripieno di Salsiccia (Sausage Stuffing for the Turkey)
By November 10, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
Although my mother was born in America, she added her Italian twist to our Thanksgiving turkey with this delicious stuffing. If we would celebrate Thanksgiving at a friend’s house who was not Italian, my mother would bake this stuffing and bring it so we wouldn’t miss out. All the non-Italians loved it too!
- 2 Pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Large Mozzarella Cheese
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Parsley
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and mash it in a skillet, over a medium flame, turning frequently until it is fully cooked.
- Drain the grease and place the sausage into a large bowl. Add the mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, eggs and garlic powder. Mix together and then sprinkle the surface with a little more mozzarella and parmesan.
- Stuff the Thanksgiving turkey with the mixture and then bake the leftovers in a square baking dish at 350°F for 30 minutes. Serve as a side dish.
- Note: For a low-fat option, you can substitute pork sausage with turkey or chicken sausage.